Barclays Premier League

From Milan to Wigan, Arsenal's desire will be exactly the same this season.

Arsène Wenger made that confident prediction ahead of his side's trip to the North-West on Sunday. After a stunning 2-0 win at the San Siro in midweek there is the potential for a massive slip-up this weekend - and not just because of the reported state of the pitch at the JJB Stadium.

Arsenal have seen their advantage over Manchester United at the top of the Premier League cut to just one point in recent weeks. In fact, there was a concern that the Emirates Stadium side may be wobbling when they travelled to Italy on Monday. However they came back with a win so uplifting that the rest of Arsenal's season might be able to ride upon it.

That said, the last time Arsenal returned from Europe with similar buoyancy - a wonderful 1-0 win at Real Madrid in 2006 - they also went up the M6 and were beaten 1-0 at Blackburn. Wenger's side can ill-afford a draw, let alone a defeat, on Sunday, especially as Manchester United will be otherwise engaged in the FA Cup.

However, when he spoke to the media on Thursday, Wenger was quick to point out the consistency and desire of his players this season - whatever the venue.

"We are up for it because along with Inter [and Bayern] we are the only side in Europe that has lost only one game this season," said the Frenchman.

"This team hasn’t an artificial hunger; they are really hungry for success and that's why I have believed in them since the start of the season. And that's why sometimes we are a bit excessive sometimes because we are not artificial in our desire to be successful.

"There's a good team bonding and a good team spirit. Of course Gallas is the captain and the experienced players have a little bit more to say but everybody is always very highly focussed and concerned."

Abou Diaby (calf) and Theo Walcott (thigh) have been added to the injury list since the midweek game. Robin van Persie was on duty in Milan but did not come off the bench. He played an hour in a behind-closed-doors game with Colorado Rapids on Thursday but may not be risked from the start this weekend. Kolo Toure (calf) and Alex Song (knee) have a minor possibility of coming back. Eduardo (broken leg) and Tomas Rosicky (hamstring) definitely miss out.

Wigan have been struggling against the drop all season. However two wins and a draw in their last four games have put some daylight between them and the drop zone. They are up to 14th, their highest position since the start of October.

"It will be a big test because they play not to go down,” said Wenger. “We expect a big commitment. They are under pressure like we are under pressure, so we are both in the same conditions.

"I've heard from reporters that their pitch is not like the Emirates. But I like England because to be champions here you have to go from Milan to Wigan - and win the game. It's a completely different kind of game but you have to find always a response to what you face.

“That's real quality for me."