I will never bust this club, vows Wenger

Arsène Wenger is in the market for new players this summer but he won’t compromise the long-term future of the Club in the process.

Arsenal spent big in January when they bought Andrey Arshavin from Zenit St Petersburg. It was a move that not only added invaluable pedigree to the Gunners’ young squad but also silenced those who questioned Arsenal’s clout in the transfer market.

Speaking at Thursday’s pre-match press conference, Wenger refused to rule out further signings in the summer but, as ever, long-term financial stability is paramount.

“If you want me to get the Club bust, I am not the person to do that, that’s for sure,” the manager stressed.

“I believe every manager has the same problem, to manage within his own resources. I look now like I do not want to spend money, but I have nothing against spending money.

“I just feel we have a team who can be very competitive and we want, as always, to manage this club within its resources and I will do that.

“I believe in this team and from what I have seen in this team, that makes me quite optimistic. These players have the quality to beat anybody else.

“If we can add one or two players with the resources we have, then we will do it.”