Almunia - Porto win showed our true colours

Manuel Almunia believes that Arsenal showed their true colours in the Champions League victory over Porto.

The Spanish goalkeeper kept a clean sheet as the Portuguese champions were brushed aside at Emirates Stadium on Tuesday night. Robin van Persie and Emmanuel Adebayor both netted twice as Arsène Wenger's side bounced back from their surprise Premier League defeat against Hull at the weekend.

Almunia was at the sharp end of that disappointment, conceding twice as Arsenal let a second-half lead slip on home soil. But the 31-year-old thinks that Saturday's shock has brought Wenger's players together and the win against Porto was evidence of that.

[Linked Image]

"It was crucial to have a clean sheet, have a victory like this and play fantastically like we did," said Almunia. "I think Arsène was furious before the Porto game and we said to ourselves that we had to play the Porto game as Arsenal know they can. We had to show we were a very great team.

"Maybe some players were tired [on Saturday] but Hull did very well. They are a strong team and we were surprised by them and I think Hull deserved the three points because our attitude wasn't very good during the game.

"But now we have togetherness, we are strong now, this is an important victory and it will give us more confidence. I hope at Sunderland we can show the strengths we have inside once again."