Adebayor - Trophies a must for ‘big clubs’

Emmanuel Adebayor admits that Arsenal must regain their knack of winning trophies to underline their status as a ‘big club’.

A win or a goalless draw at home to Villarreal in the Champions League on Wednesday will take the Gunners a step closer to their first major trophy in four years. The FA Cup is also within reach for Arsène Wenger’s young squad with a Semi-Final against Chelsea at Wembley on Saturday.

Adebayor arrived in North London a little over three years ago and is still waiting for his first taste of glory. He believes that silverware is a must if Arsenal want to enhance their reputation at home and abroad.

“If you want to be a big club, of course you have to win things, which is normal,” said Adebayor.

“If most of the people say Manchester United are a big club in Europe, it is because they won the Premier League and the Champions League. They are the reasons they are big.

“We are ready for that. We did everything last season to achieve things and for me it is a little bit of luck in the Quarter-Finals of the Champions League against Liverpool last season that knocked us out. This season we have the chance to do it and just have to take our chances.”

Adebayor is well aware that the pressure will mount if and when Arsenal edge closer to their goals in April and May. But that can wait; for now, he just wants to get past Villarreal.

“The pressure is there: all the fans, the newspapers, journalists. That is normal. I can understand that,” he said.

“But for me as a footballer the most important thing is how I am going to help my team to win. I am here talking about the Final already, we have to pass through the Quarter-Final and Semi-Final first.

“We know Villarreal will be one of the toughest games I will have in my life and we will have to give 100 per cent. After that we will talk about other things.”