Wenger - We won’t be tentative in second leg

Arsène Wenger insists his side will not be “tentative” in the second leg of their Champions League tie with Villarreal.

Emmanuel Adebayor’s crucial away goal at El Madrigal last week put the Gunners firmly in the Quarter-Final driving seat. They now know that any win, or a goalless draw, at Emirates Stadium will see them progress to the last four.

However, Wenger is adamant that his side must be “decisive” against a Villarreal side who will surely come to attack. And, speaking ahead of the clash, the Frenchman reiterated his determination to avoid a nerve-jangling second leg.

“We know we are in a situation where we don’t want to be tentative at all,” the manager said. “We want to be decisive but you can only do that if you decide to play in a very positive way.

“We have scored that away goal so it could have an importance at the end of the day. I don’t believe that we are a team who can play for 0-0, that’s not our natural way. If there are five minutes to go and it’s 0-0 even goal kicks make you nervous.

“I personally don’t expect any weaknesses from them, I expect some strength from us to say, ‘listen, we have the opportunity to get to the Semi Final at home, let’s take it’.

“I am confident we will and we have the needed quality to do that. But you know from their game that they can be dangerous as well.”