Merida - I hope to get a new Arsenal contract

Fran Merida is hopeful of securing a new contract at Arsenal and says the team has nobody to fear in the hunt for Carling Cup glory.

The midfielder scored his first Gunners goal on Wednesday night with a fearsome shot into the top corner to help Arsenal defeat Liverpool 2-1.

The 19-year-old's contract expires at the end of the season but the Spaniard has revealed he is looking to get a new deal after opening discussions with the Club.

"At the moment I am talking to the Club so I don't know what is going to happen," he said.

"I am really happy here so hopefully everything is going to be OK. We are going to sit down and talk about [a new contract]."

Merida was delighted with the victory over Liverpool and is now looking ahead to the Quarter-Final draw, suggesting Arsenal are ready to take on anyone.

"I scored my first goal for the Club so I am really happy and also because the team won against a really tough side," he said.

"The Carling Cup is really important for young players. We have to show what we can do and also enjoy it because we don't get many first-team games.

"We know that it will be a really tough cup because there are some strong teams left in the competition.

"There is no-one to fear because we can beat anyone.

"Last year we lost away so maybe people think we are not as strong away but I think we can win at home or away."

Quelle: arsenal.com