Wenger - We're through, now let's finish the job

Even Arsenal's most optimistic fans might have been bracing themselves for defeat on Tuesday night - but Arsène Wenger wasn't.

The young Gunners, with an average age of 20, squandered a two-goal lead against Blackburn and looked to be heading for the Carling Cup exit after losing Denilson to a red card and Nacer Barazite to a dislocated shoulder.

Instead, Arsenal dug deeper than ever to snatch a thrilling 3-2 victory in extra time, courtesy of Eduardo's clinical finish. A third successive Semi-Final awaits them in the New Year.

So was Wenger surprised by his team's incredible show of character? Not at all. "I believe very strongly in this team and I am not surprised," said the Frenchman afterwards.

"I am very happy because today it was more the physical and the mental test during a big part of the game and they stood up to it. After we were down to 10 men it was a mental test and we found the resources to score the goal and win the tie.

"Now we want to finish the job. We got a taste of the Final last year and now we are in the Semi-Final again so that shows that it was not a coincidence last year.

"We will have two big games now and it will cost a lot of energy. We will see who we get. Last year we got Tottenham and it won't be a surprise if we get them again."