Clichy sets his sights on international debut

The clever money is on Gael Clichy finally winning his first international cap this season.

The Arsenal left-back was one of the Premier League's most consistent performers last term and came within touching distance of his France debut when Raymond Domenech drafted him into the squad ahead of the European Championships.

However, Clichy had to settle for a 'B' team appearance against DR Congo and is still waiting for his chance after watching last month's friendly win against Sweden from the substitutes' bench.

The 23-year-old faces stiff competition for the left-back spot with Manchester United's Patrice Evra and Barcelona's Eric Abidal also in the frame. Nonetheless Clichy is in the France squad for their forthcoming World Cup qualifiers against Austria and Serbia and hopes that his patience will pay off.

"Personally it is a nice thing [to be called up] but I didn’t play so I still have to work hard and I hope I will make my debut soon," said Clichy.

"It’s a big thing for me, like all the players you want to play for your country. When you are called up, that means you are one of the 20 best players in France.

"That’s a big thing for me and I hope I will make my debut soon."