Wenger - I look to myself after bad defeats

Arsène Wenger will look at himself more than his players for the reasons behind Saturday’s shock 2-1 defeat at home to Hull City.

On a dramatic, unpredictable afternoon at Emirates Stadium, the aptly-named Tigers came from behind to inflict only Arsenal’s second defeat in more than two seasons at their ‘new’ home.

Wenger is a football obsessive who has been known to stay up into the early hours to review that day’s victory. He once admitted that during his early career in France he had to stop the team bus to be physically sick after one bad loss. Therefore you can only imagine his reaction to the deep disappointment of Saturday.

“I always look first at myself after defeats,” he said. “Don’t worry about that. We do that with all the staff.

“You think about the game and, if you can watch it, you watch it again.

“But there were certainly enough ingredients in the game to make me physically sick again.

“We had an opportunity to go top of the League and in that situation you have to be right in your intensity and in your concentration level. That ‘electric level’ in our head was not high enough.

“I don’t know if we can’t afford to lose again but what we delivered today was not good enough. We know that. So the important thing now is not how many games we can lose this season but preparing well for Tuesday night.”