Gallas drafted in for Tottenham tie as injuries bite

Carling Cup
Tottenham H. v Arsenal

Injuries have forced Arsène Wenger to call on William Gallas for the Carling Cup Semi-Final second leg at Tottenham on Tuesday night.

Arsenal are without four centre backs for the short trip across North London. Kolo Toure and Alex Song are on duty at the African Nations Cup while Johan Djourou picked up a groin injury during the first leg at Emirates Stadium a fortnight ago.

The quartet is completed by Philippe Senderos who suffered a nasty blow to the nose during Saturday’s 3-0 win at Fulham. Even though Wenger has brought back his captain for a tie delicately poised at 1-1, Gallas’ partner will still be a makeshift centre back. Justin Hoyte and Gilberto are the players most likely to step in. Otherwise the manager will employ the usual squad members supplemented with a few more first-team players.

[Linked Image]

“We lost Philippe Senderos at Fulham and the injuries before that game are the same,” said Wenger on Monday afternoon.

“I will rotate the squad which means those that didn’t play on Saturday will play at Tottenham and after that I will complete it with first-team players. I will use William Gallas because I have no choice but Fabianski will play, Hoyte will play and the players that didn’t play against Fulham will all play. Walcott will feature as well.”