Wenger - Diving is NOT the biggest problem

Arsène Wenger is proud that British football abhors diving but the Arsenal manager still feels there are bigger problems to solve in football at the moment.

The issue has been in the news after the award of two game-changing penalties in matches involving the Emirates Stadium side this week. The first revolved around Eduardo on Wednesday and the second concerned Wayne Rooney, of Manchester United, on Saturday.

Both spot-kicks took centre stage in Wenger’s post-match press conferences and, although the Frenchman argues that the very concern about diving is a strength, he feels the strong-arm tactics of certain players needs more urgent attention in the modern game.

“I like that [focus on the diving problem],” he said. “I believe that is a quality in this country. In some countries it is a quality to dive. I’m still more proud to be part of England where they fight against it.

“But there are other points that are for me more urgent. There are players who play only to make fouls who are never punished and they get a result out of the game. That for me is more anti-football than a player like Eduardo who did what Eduardo did.”

Quelle: arsenal.com