Wenger: 'You could see it was an end of season game'

Barclays Premier League
Arsenal 1-0 Everton

on the result...
"The fluency was a bit difficult sometimes. You could see that it was a little bit an end of season game, especially with the fact that they didn't open up at all. They played with Johnson up front, but we were sound at the back. We didn't create as many chances as usual but we scored a great goal and, in the end, I think we just deserved a win today. They didn't create a lot and overall we deserved to win this game."

on the absence of Cesc...
"Cesc wasn't in the side because he was injured. He came in yesterday morning, we made a scan and we couldn't take a chance to play him. On the scan it is a three-week injury. He'll be ready for Spain but not for us."

on Lehmann's final appearance...
"It was a farewell, yes. I wanted him to say goodbye to the fans and to show him that we respect him for what he has done for us. He was a 100 per-cent professional, not always an easy character but you take that if the guys is committed every day."

on Bendtner's progress...
"Bendtner? Fantastic. I think if you look at Bendtner on the August 1 and Bendtner on the May 1 there is a massive difference. He has become a good player, and if you look at the chances he has created, in the time he plays, and the times he has scored, especially the goal he scored today. You need to understand the game because he's on the move, he meets the ball, he finishes well. I'm impressed by him."

on Flamini's contact negotiations...
"Frankly, I don't know more than you. He has an offer on the table that is valid until tomorrow, and then we'll see. I am not confident and not worried. That means the situation is not in my hands, you know? We've done what we had to do, now it is down to him to decide what he wants to do. I wanted to put him on the bench but he had a little recurrance of his ankle."

on Gilberto's future...
"I would like Gilberto to stay. But I have to sit down with him to see what he wants to do. Gilberto is like Jens Lehmann, you can rely on them, they are fantastic professionals. Gilberto is a fantastic guy. We won trophies with Gilberto and Jens because they are special human beings, you know? You do not win with average people."