Wenger – Title race will go down to the wire

We may be only four games into the Premier League season but Arsène Wenger is already predicting a “very tight and very interesting” campaign in which the champions will have to amass another high points tally.

Arsenal finished with an impressive 83 points last term but it was only good enough for third place, four points behind Manchester United and Chelsea.

With the likes of Manchester City and Tottenham investing heavily over the summer, Wenger feels there is more pressure than ever on the so-called ‘Big Four’. As a result he predicts the title will once again go down to the wire.

“This season you will need a high number of points and you will have to be consistent,” said Wenger. “I don’t know how many we’ll need, ask me again in January then we will have a better idea.

“But you might have a surprising team coming in to challenge like Man City, Tottenham and maybe Portsmouth. It will certainly be very tight and very interesting.

“Last season, I feel we did not get enough credit for what we did. We were very close. We made 83 points in the League and I have won the title with 78 before. But the competition was very high last season and looks like it will be the same this season.”