Maturing Ramsey delighted with new deal

It's been a year since Aaron Ramsey chose Arsenal over Manchester United and Everton - and the young Welshman couldn't be happier with his decision.

The 18-year-old had a clutch of top clubs chasing him last summer but he opted to leave Cardiff City for Emirates Stadium and has been rewarded for a solid first season with a new long-term contract.

Ramsey already has 22 first-team appearances under his belt and played a starring role in Arsenal's run to the Carling Cup Quarter-Finals. He opened his account in the Champions League with a well-taken goal at Fenerbahce and believes that the opportunities he's received at such a young age have vindicated his decision to join Arsenal.

"I am very pleased I chose Arsenal last year," Ramsey told Arsenal.com. "I always knew that Arsenal was the Club for me, they had the best plan for me. They have a history of bringing through youngsters, giving them opportunities and turning them into world-class players.

"I'm very pleased to sign a new deal. I think I've had a decent first season, I've learnt a lot and now I'm looking forward to next season. I am committed to this Club, I am an Arsenal player and I want to be an Arsenal player.

"Obviously I have grown up a bit in the past year because I live on my own now, so I have to look after myself. I am a bit more independent now. But I wouldn't say I have changed too much."

So far Ramsey's career has followed a similar trajectory Theo Walcott's. Like Walcott, the 18-year-old has been capped by his country before becoming an Arsenal regular. And like the England star, Ramsey spent much of his first year at Emirates Stadium learning his trade on the training ground.

Now the midfielder wants to emulate Walcott by using his second season to make his mark on the Arsenal first team.

"We both came from Championship clubs to join Arsenal and I think my first year has been quite similar to Theo's first year at Arsenal," said Ramsey. "But then in the second year he played a lot more games and got more experience under his belt, so hopefully I can take the same path.

"We've talked about it before, I've asked him how he found it when he was in my position. Now I want to be more regular in the starting eleven, get a lot more games under my belt and hopefully start more games as well. They are my targets."

Quelle: arsenal.com

Zuletzt bearbeitet von braumi; 03/07/2009 09:13.