Wenger - Lehmann helped Almunia to improve

Arsène Wenger believes that Jens Lehmann has helped Manuel Almunia become a much better goalkeeper.

The Germany No 1 played his final game at Emirates Stadium on Sunday and is set to leave Arsenal this summer after five years with the Club. Lehmann lost his place to Almunia just three games into the current campaign but, as far as Wenger is concerned, his presence on the training pitches every day forced Almunia to maintain the highest standards.

"Don't forget that for Almunia it was a very difficult year because when you have a guy like Jens Lehmann on your back there is no better school because this guy doesn't give you any room. He always shows he is ready to take your place if you have any weakness," said the Frenchman.

"So I believe that Almunia this year on the mental side, on the toughness, has made a tremendous improvement. What he has done, with the competition like he had with Jens every day, with people expecting him to show a weakness, he has instead become a very strong goalkeeper."

Speaking at a Q&A with Arsenal's shareholders at Emirates Stadium on Tuesday, Wenger paid tribute to Lehmann's exemplary attitude to training throughout his five years with the Club.

"I feel he was a real winner, he was ready to die to win," said Wenger. "As I said in front of the players, for the five years he was here, I never caught him once, for one minute in any training session, not giving his best.

"You cannot say that about every player and Jens deserves huge respect because this guy was committed every single day and for every minute of every training session."