Wenger - I respect the way Lehmann has acted

Arsène Wenger has spoken of his respect for the way Jens Lehmann has conducted himself in recent weeks.

The Arsenal manager admits “the door is open” for the German keeper if he wants to leave Emirates Stadium during January. However suggestions that, on Friday morning, Borussia Dortmund would be announcing his decision to re-join them proved to be false.

In fact Lehmann will play in goal for Arsenal at Burnley on Sunday. Wenger believes the 38-year-old has not yet decided whether to stay or go during the current window however this summer’s Euro 2008 tournament could well be a factor.

“When I extended the contract for Jens, I opened the door that if he does not play [for us] and has a chance to play in the European Championships, then I would not stop him from leaving in January,” said Wenger at his pre-match press conference. “If he does not play, that means somebody else can get in front of him.

[Linked Image]

“I have heard that Dortmund made a press conference and they did not announce Jens but they are hopeful. The door is not closed for Jens, but at the moment we have not reached any agreement. I do not even believe he has made his mind up.

“He still thinks he should play, and I respect that. On one side you cannot want a player to give 100 per cent every day to be the best and then accept he is not the best. They do not work together.

“But what I respect the most is he is a player who comes in and does his job 100 per cent and does not talk too much. That is what he does at the moment.”